Amazon Deals

New at Amazon

Thursday, November 6, 2014

Life as a serial killer’s daughter: Keith Jesperson (the Happy Face Killer) was caught when she was 15 years old

This is disturbing, not in an explicit way but just because it's such a weird thing to think about. 
There isn't a book out there called, What Do You Do When You Find Out That Your Dad's A Serial Killer? There's nothing out there that tells you what to do.
Keith Jesperson is notorious in the US as the Happy Face Killer (wiki), who raped and murdered eight women in the 1990s. Here his daughter, Melissa Moore, describes how she learned the truth as a teenager - and eventually found a way to live with it - keeping it secret until her own daughter started getting curious. She wrote a book a few years ago entitled Shattered Silence: The Untold Story Of A Serial Killer's Daughter.
When I was 13, we were driving along the Columbia River, a beautiful wide river that separates Washington State and Oregon. We were just getting close to the Multnomah Falls area when my Dad announced: "I know how to kill someone and get away with it." Then he just started to tell me how he would cut off the victim's buttons, so that there wouldn't be any fingerprints left, and he would wear cycling shoes that didn't leave a distinctive print in the mud.
At the time, I put this down to my father's penchant for detective fiction, but years later I realised we had been driving through the area where he had disposed of Taunja Bennett's body three years earlier. I think he wanted to relive it and enjoy the moment again. My dad felt compelled to share his crimes, as he did in the messages that he left at truck stops, or sent in letters to the media. They were always signed with a smiley face, leading the media to dub him the "Happy Face Killer".

And this:
I've created a whole network of people like me - daughters, sons, siblings, parents and grandparents of serial killers. So far, I have had direct contact with more than 300 people like this - we are an underground community.
Read the whole thing at BBC

No comments:

Post a Comment