Amazon Deals

New at Amazon

Thursday, August 1, 2013

From 1983, the Queen's speech for third world war

Guardian (Warning - sidebar ads may be NSFW)
"Our brave country must again prepare itself to survive against great odds. I have never forgotten the sorrow and pride I felt as my sister and I huddled around the nursery wireless set listening to my father's inspiring words on that fateful day in 1939. Not for a single moment did I imagine that this solemn and awful duty would one day fall to me."
The extraordinary speech forms part of a chilling 320-page war games scenario – codenamed Wintex-Cimex 83 – which was drawn up by top intelligence, defence and Home Office staff. It is revealed in a cache of secret documents released on Thursday by the National Archives, which evokes the shadow of nuclear armageddon that hung over Britain 30 years ago.

The potential Queen's speech was written as in real life the UK ambassador to Moscow warned that the warlike rhetoric of Yuri Andropov, general secretary of the Soviet Communist party, had become "profoundly disturbing". 

And this:

The briefing adds that the doctrine of "no first use of nuclear weapons" – one that was not accepted by Nato – was known as NOFUN.

Read the entire speech over at the BBC: Link

No comments:

Post a Comment